Saturday, June 26, 2010

mmmm.....pickles!

I've pickled my first batch of cucumbers today.
This is Jeremy's grandma's recipe...definitely a whole family favorite on the Ekeland side.
You will need: Canning salt


Apple Cider Vinegar

Red Pepper Flakes (if you like pickles with a kick)
You'll also need dill and wide mouth canning jars.
Before I set everything up I wash the cucumbers and then put them in a bowl or the sink in ice water.
While the cucs chill (for about an hour) I set up all my jars, take the lids off and fill them with dill, red pepper flakes and a few of them I put in sliced jalapenos for really hot pickles.
I don't sterilze the jars or lids because that process is taken care of during the heating process in the oven.


I then put the cucumbers into the jars. 3-4 will fit in each jar depending on the size of the cucumbers.


After the cucumbers are in the jars I make the brine which is:
2 pints water
1 pint applecider vinegar
1/4 cup canning salt.
btw 1 pint is 2 cups of water...just incase you were wondering...I had to look it up today! :-)
Heat brine to just about boiling (and making sure salt is disolved) and then pour over pickles in jars.
Above amounts of ingredients will be enough for 3 large wide mouth jars.
Place lids on as tight as possible and place in cold oven.

Once jars are in oven like above picture turn oven on to 225 degrees.


Leave jars in oven for one hour and take out immediately.

Then after they cool just store in a cool dry place.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: